Whole Grain Hemp Quinoa Bread
A delicious, 100% whole grain bread, chock-full of nutrients!
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 cups hot water (about 110° F.)
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 2 packets baking yeast (1⁄4 oz. each)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1⁄2 cup Hemp Rules™ Shelled hempseeds
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup Coco’Mon™ Original coconut oil
1. Mix the flour and gluten together thoroughly and set aside.
2. Pour the hot water into the largest bowl you have. Stir in the agave nectar. Drop in the yeast (do not stir) and allow it to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes (until foamy).
3. Add 3 cups of the flour/gluten mixture to the bowl. Using a large spoon, stir everything together until well mixed. Place a cookie sheet (or waxed paper) over the bowl and then place a towel on top of that. This will prevent the dough from rising and sticking to the towel. Set aside in a warm place and allow the dough to rise for an hour, or until double in size.
4. Next, add in the quinoa, hempseeds, salt, and oil and stir well to combine.
5. Add in the remaining flour/gluten mixture, stirring with the spoon until it becomes too difficult. At this point, begin kneading the dough. It should be slightly sticky. Knead for about 5 minutes.
6. Form the dough into a ball and put it into the big bowl. Next, cover as you did before. Allow it to rise again in a warm place for an hour, or until doubled in size.
7. Punch down the dough and divide it into two loaves. Knead each one separately for 2 or 3 minutes. Shape the loaves and place on lightly oiled cookie sheets, giving them enough room to spread out. If you like, slash the tops with a knife. Let the loaves rise, uncovered, for an hour in a warm spot.
8. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Sprinkle or spray the top of each loaf with a little water and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the bread is very nicely browned and sounds hollow when tapped. Slice and serve.
Makes two large loaves of bread