Vegan Jamaican Rice and Peas
Rhea (The “V” Word – Voted #1 Vegan Blog of 2013 on SkinnyScoop.com) has an outstanding vegan blog and has shared some wonderful vegan recipes.
- 1 Tbs. Ziggy Marley Coco’Mon™ Curry coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1-15 oz. can red kidney beans (or pigeon peas), rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Lime juice
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
2. Add the garlic and the rice and toss to coat the rice with oil. Mix in the salt and ginger. Add the water (or vegetable broth) and the coconut milk. Stir well.
3. Add the kidney beans (or pigeon peas) and thyme to the saucepan and stir everything together. Add the bay leaves and let the rice cook until the liquids begin to simmer. Then lower the heat and cover the saucepan.
4. Cook for 40 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 10 more minutes. Uncover, remove the bay leaves and fluff with a fork.
5. Squeeze lime juice over top. Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary.