Jamaican Escoveitch Fish
- 2 lbs of any whole white fish or filets
- 1/4 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- Ziggy Marley’s Coco’Mon™ Lemon Ginger Coconut Oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white or cider vinegar
- 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup julienned strips of carrot and chocho*
- 1 hot pepper, such as Scotch Bonnet
- 1 large onion cut in rings
- 6 pimento berri (allspice)
1. Wash fish and pat dry.
2. Dust fish with seasoned flour and fry. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Combine water, vinegar, and salt. Squeeze lime into mixture.
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the liquid and cook until vegetables are tender.
5. Pour sauce over fish and let rest briefly to marinate before serving.
* Chocho (a.k.a. chayote or christophine): This mild-flavored squash looks like a wrinkled, pale green pear. You can substitute zucchini (stronger flavor, cooks more quickly) or kohlrabi or any other summer squash.
From the sweet kitchen of Ms. Rose